1.31.2011

My Persona: The Asipring, Soon-To-Be Graduate

In order to develop incredible products, marketers must step outside the bounds of traditional market segmentation into a new realm of personas. A persona is a collection of personal beliefs, characteristics, goals, and opinions about a group of customers beyond simple demographics, behaviors, or psychographics. Below is the persona I've created for myself in the form of the Cohorts examples, which includes major elements of the Empathy Map discussed in the course:

Personality:

"People say I'm a creative, free-thinker, apt to try that next experience."
"I hope that we can buy a house in the next five years."
"Not an empty nest for long: we're saving for that eventual baby."
"Success to me is spending quality time with my wife, kids, and work - in that order."
"People in America spend and eat too much. I try not to emulate this!"
"Selective social bug: Quality over quantity counts with friends."
"Starting and running a business is a life goal for me."
"I love technology that makes life easier; coolness is less of a factor that functionality though."
"I'm a member of a wine club and enjoy wine tasting with my wife."
"Eating organically is a goal, but we don't have the $$$ to do it 100% of the time."
"Staying physically active is a bug for me."

Demographics:

34
Male
Married
Graduate education
Apartment living situation
Business Professional
$90,000 annual income
No credit cards

Lifestyle:

Audio / Video:

2 Laptops at home
Addicted to Netflix
Still use that turntable to play records, although MP3s rule
I have a good digital camera but should have taken a photography class!

Sports and Fitness:

Skiing
Golf
Tennis
Gym rat: I love a good workout

Connoisseur:

Wine tasting
Travel - usually local, it's all we can afford right now
Art shows, checking out a new exhibit at the museum
We eat out selectively, but mostly enjoy cooking at home
European soccer

Outdoors and Home Life:

Hiking
Camping
Looking foward to having a dog around the house

1 comment:

stephen said...

Hey Jason - Very interesting to read... and now I want to scroll down and read a few other of your previous posts (I did read the one about getting laid off - that sucks... I know from experience). Good stuff in here and sounds like you have a fun life (as I would define it, at least). My one request would be that you write more - that you go a little further on some of those things you wrote about... especially the one-word answers. I know the cohort model does some of that, but I want you all to really push yourselves to write more - to write just beyond the easy or the comfortable. Just something to keep in mind for future posts.